Cookies help us deliver our services. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies.

In order for us to verify your income, calculate your return accurately, and also to be sure of no mismatches with the information that HMRC hold for you, it is important for us to have accurate income totals for you. We will need the following items of information from you, which you can file online in the Self-Employment area of our website.

CIS Statements/Summaries

If you're a CIS worker, your CIS payment and deduction certificate is the best way of proving your income to us. As a subcontractor, you should be given one of these each time you are paid by the contractor you are currently working for. These statements clearly show your income tax deductions, materials and your net pay. This is the number one way of making sure your return is handled, processed and paid as quickly as possible.

Remittance Advice Slip

Some contractors may issue you with a remittance advice slip. This is a proof of payment certificate that in most cases will show the gross amount paid, the tax deducted and the net amount that is due to you. While these are better than nothing, we will probably still need to do a bit of digging first to verify some more details and this may take us a little longer.

If you don't have any records

We understand that sometimes it may be difficult to get these records. If you are missing anything, there are three options available to you:

  1. Contact your contractor and ask them to send out your information
  2. Contact HMRC and ask them to send out your information
  3. Ask us to appeal on your behalf

Bank Statements

If you have neither of the above, and no way of getting hold of them, we can attempt to use bank statements as your proof of income as a last ditch attempt to recover some of your information.

This will involve a lot of time and effort, and will likely an additional surcharge as a result. We suggest your review your bank statements first, contact the people who have paid you, and ask them to supply you the above documents. This will help you to avoid any additional charges.

Learn more about why you shouldn't use bank statements.

© 2018 NJB Taxback Ltd
Registered in England and Wales (Company Number 11373381)
Registered Office: Kemp House, City Road, London, EC1V 2NX
Privacy Policy - ICO Registration A8255161
Web development by Rocket Dog Creative
Powered by File Sanctuary